Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cloud Computing's Impact on Journalism & News Media

I'm not sure I completely understand the reality of cloud computing.  This is a new concept for me.  Essentially, I think cloud computing is simply the desire to keep data in one place at the lowest cost.  In this case, the data is kept and accessible only from the Internet or "server farms".  Obviously, if a company is going to keep my data there needs to be a relationship built on trust.  It's like I'm trusting someone to take care of my cat for me while I'm on vacation.  When I return home I want him back and in good health. 

In regards to news media and journalism, the more centralized this information is the more likely a narrow group of people has control over the data.  In our free society there ought to be no strings attached to reporting the news fairly and accurately.  And, there ought to be no limitations to the type of media used to communicate to the people.  The issue is a matter of control and responsibility.  If everyone on the planet was completely trustworthy, with no personal agendas, this would not be problem.  It would be kind of like my bank telling me what I can or cannot spend my money on simply because they have it in their vault.  The bank has to be neutral, and the same rule needs to apply to company's who offer server farms or cloud computing to news organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment